Saturday, April 21, 2012

Fridge Soup

Pin It Follow Me on PinterestAfter a day out, I don't feel much like cooking. So, in an attempt to simplify my cooking experience, I pretty much just threw everything from the fridge into a pot and called it soup! Fortunately, it turned out well :) This particular day had a beautiful variety of brightly colored veggies, but I'm pretty sure that if you throw most any veggies in a pot with broth and simmer, it will taste good. Oh, and I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I believe in butter. And cream. YUM! So, of course, both of those are included in this recipe. I suppose you could leave them out, but what fun would that be?? After the picture, the recipe.

Look at those beautiful veggies! There's a bit of steam blowing up, giving the picture a sort of ethereal feel :)

Fridge Soup

Ingredients:

1 Cup each of your favorite veggies, or whatever is in the fridge (I used red cabbage, carrots, celery, leeks, zucchini, and [1/2 cup] green onion)
5 cups strong broth or stock (chicken, beef, or veggie. Again, the idea is to use what you have)
1/2 - 3/4 Cup heavy cream (or half and half, regular milk, evaporated milk, soy milk)
3 Tbsp butter (or olive oil, vegetable oil) for sauteing the veggies (I used half butter, half olive oil)
2 Bay leaves
Salt and pepper
Any other seasonings you like!

Preparation:

Get the broth on to boil. Saute any vegetable you would like to saute (I usually saute everything, it cooks faster that way). Add veggies to pot, along with bay leaves, salt and pepper (and any other seasoning you are using). Simmer for a while (an hour or two, just use whatever time you have available). Remove the bay leaves and add the cream just before serving. 

Fantastic served with crusty bread on a cold day!


No comments:

Post a Comment