Friday, April 27, 2012

Five Spice Crock-Pot Roast

Pin It Follow Me on Pinterest
I love Asian food. Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Cantonese, Vietnamese... you get the point. I am forever trying to find ways to infuse my cooking with those wonderful flavors. Tonight, I decided to try out a new spice I picked up on whim: Chinese 5 Spice. I found it in the ethnic food department of my local market. The one I picked up is made of cinnamon, star anise, fennel, ginger, cloves, white pepper, and licorice root. (I know that's more than 5 spices, but that's what the jar says!) It is very potent, and recommended to be used sparingly. I hope you will take a journey with me to try out this new recipe!

Five Spice Crock-Pot Roast

Ingredients:

2-3 lb beef roast (I used a rump roast)
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
salt and pepper

Preparation:

Season all sides of roast with salt and pepper. Place roast in crock-pot. In a medium pan, combine vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, water, and Chinese 5 Spice. Bring to a boil, and then lower heat to simmer. Stir often, until brown sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool slightly (5-10 minutes), then pour over roast. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 2.5-3 hours. Serve with rice and a green vegetable. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment